Originally built in 1838 in a Tudor style, Navigation House was the location of the offices of the Sleaford Navigation Company. With the advent of the railways, transportation by water started its descent in to obsolescence. The railway arrived in Sleaford in 1857 and by the 1870’s had overwhelmed Sleaford Navigation to the extent that they were forced to close their offices. The building was then taken over by the wagon builder and farrier, Thomas Mettam. Today, Navigation House is open to the public where one can see and learn more about Sleaford’s history.